Georges Jouve (1910-1964)
Georges Jouve graduated from the Ecole Boulle in 1929 where he acquired the nickname ‘Apollo’. He then took classes at several painting academies (Jullian and Grande Chaumière). Jouve’s career as a theatre-set designer was cut short by the war. He was made prisoner almost immediately.
Jouve escaped in 1943 and hid in Dieulefit, an old Provençale potters’ village, until the war was over.
Georges Jouve was fascinated by ancestral traditions and was drawn by both the place and the craft, and he became one of the most well known figures of the region.
In 1944 Jouve returned to Paris and set up his studio rue de la Tombe-Issoire. His work then began to move away from his original traditional inspiration, towards more personal and far more decorative forms that corresponded with the aesthetic taste of the 1940s.
Jaques Adnet showed great interest in him, and he participated regularly in the Salon de l’Imagerie and the Salon des Artistes Décorateurs, as well as in important exhibitions presented by the Ministère de l’Education Nationale in Rio de Janeiro in 1946, Barcelona in 1947, Milan and Helsinki in 1948, Vienna in 1947, Cairo and Rome in 1950.
In 1954 Georges Jouve left Paris for Pigonnet in Aix-en-Provence.
His work then evolved towards the smoother, simpler forms and monochrome enamels that came to characterize 1950s ceramics.
His pieces were presented at the gallery La Demeure and by Steph Simon in Paris.
A year after Georges Jouve’s death in March 1964, the gallery La Demeure organized a vast retrospective exhibition entitled ‘Hommage à Jouve, 20 ans de céramique’.